Beyond the glamour, sparkle, politics & controversies the Victoria Secret Fashion Show has been off for about 5 years now, but the beauty routines of the Angels still stand validated.
It wasn’t very clear as to why the show was canceled, but speculation thrived and pegged it at the #metoo, calling out inappropriateness of many fashion designers and photographers. While sexual misconduct may have been a factor, the rise of social media and voice to the individual has brought about criticism of the industry’s often unrealistic standards.
The Angels Bella and Gigi Hadid names were actually not included in the first batch of models announced for the Pink summer campaign at that time fans speculated that the sisters’ absence from the list simply meant that their casting was being kept under wraps until closer to the show. Well that proved right in hind sight when Victoria’s Secret later confirmed that Bella would walk that year. The model was overwhelmed and thanked her peers on Instagram. Although it was the first time Bella walked for Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show she had been involved with the brand at various other levels, in fact she starred in their campaign earlier that year alongside fellow Angels Lily Aldridge, Candice Swanepoel, and Behati Prinsloo.
The Angels’ makeup was done by Dick Page, Shiseido Artistic Director. His goal was to create a look that was both natural and fresh. “For the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, I wanted the girls to look like they had just been kissed by the sun.”, he was quoted as saying.
For those of you at home who want to recreate the look, Sarah offers these tips:
- “Start by prepping your hair with a volumizing spray like the L’Oreal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Boost It High Lift Creation Spray. Then, divide your hair into sections and curl each section away from your face using the Beachwaver. Finish by misting your hair with a strong-hold hairspray like the L’Oreal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold.” .
- To get the look, Dick recommends using a bronzer like the Shiseido Bronzer in Medium Deep. “Sweep it across the forehead, cheeks, and nose for a natural-looking tan,” he says. “Then, add a touch of highlighter to the cheekbones and brow bones for a healthy glow.” He chose “fresh and soft hues to enhance the model’s naturally glowing complexions and individual features,” he said. “Foundation was applied over concealer to create the most natural-looking skin finish.” The models’ cheekbones were highlighted in natural tones of crystal, bronze, and copper tones, depending on their skin tones, for an added glow and a hydrating face mask applied to the remainder of the face. These are all vital steps in achieving a flawless complexion. The Victoria’s Secret models are well aware of this, and make sure to follow a rigorous skincare routine backstage before their big show.
- Perfect base: Once the skin is prepped and primed, it’s time for foundation. The VS models use a variety of high-end products to create their perfect base, including Dior Airflash Spray Foundation and MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. They then set their foundation with powder to ensure it lasts all day (and night!) long.
- Smoky eyes: No Victoria’s Secret show would be complete without smoky eyes. The models achieve this sultry look by applying a dark eyeshadow to the outer corners of the eyes, before blending it inwards. They then add some eyeliner and mascara to really make their eyes pop. To finish off the look, they often add false lashes for extra drama.
- 5. nude lips: Finally, the models go for nude lips, using a lip liner to slightly over-draw their natural lip line and fill in with a flesh-toned lipstick or gloss.”The Angels’ hair will be styled by Sarah Potempa, who is also the creator of The Beachwaver. “I always start with a great blowout,” she says. “For these ladies, I am using the Beachwaver S1.25 to get lots of volume and soft waves.”
Finish off the look with a nude lip. “I like to use a lip pencil like the Shiseido Perfect Rouge Lipstick in Burnished Nude,” says Dick. “Line and fill in your lips, and then top it off with a clear gloss.”
Now, that the iconic lingerie show stands canceled altogether, and whatever the reason for its cancellation, the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show was always an iconic event that will be missed by many. For years, it was one of the few mainstream events that showcased plus-size and transgender models. It also gave many aspiring models a chance to walk in a major fashion show.